I wasn't too intrigued when I first heard about the blogging assignment. It's still not something I look forward to, but I don't despise it either. It's an easy way to earn 20% of your grade, and it becomes easier the more you do it.
Although it's annoying to write blogs, it was also interesting reading what other students wrote. I thought it was a great way for the class to become more acquainted with each other. I've learned a lot about other cultures and their customs from reading all the different blogs, especially since Baruch is such a diverse school.
It was partially due to the blogs that my group and I have been able perform better than we would have if the blogs hadn't existed. By keeping up with the blogs of other members in our group, we were able to learn about each others backgrounds and skills, which came in handy when it came to group activities.
For the "Le'go of my Lego's!" activity, we were clueless to how we should tackle the problem. Through information we obtained from the blogs, we figured our best bet would be to utilize the skills of someone whose hobby was building robots. We also knew they could draw from a sketch they posted on their blog as well. Even though our group didn't succeed, our model was only off by a very small detail in the positioning of one of the blocks, which I thought was impressive compared to how much worse off we would have been had we not known what we did.
However, I don't think I will continue to use this blog after class has ended. I don't think a blog is necessary to ensure that students reflect back on what happened in class. I think it's the activities that most of the class will remember, regardless of whether we have a blog or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree, that the blog helped our group's performance and I'm glad you guys had faith in my skills. Thanks for comment. It was great working with you.
ReplyDeleteHaha I was not excited about having to blog at first either. it seemed like a homework with a timed due date, but nonetheless, it was an easy way to earn 20% of my grade. But as I went through the semester, I guess my view on the blog changed as your view changed too. I was able to learn about where the people in our class came from, their background and just fell more acquainted with those "strangers sitting next to me." This was a good way to have a class outside of class.
ReplyDeleteI was on the same page about blogging at first time. sometimes, I enjoyed it. sometimes, I felt obligated to do it.
ReplyDelete